Here are a few “signs” that may indicate my baby is ready for solid foods:
- Loss of tongue-thrust reflex (she was eating like a big gal, can swallow, no spitting or thrusting the food with her tounge – so checked!)
- Ability to let you know she is full from a “meal” with signs such as turning away from the bottle or breast. This is important so that baby is able to self-regulate the amount of food being eaten. This helps stop baby from accidentally overeating as parents may continue to feed baby thinking that she is still hungry. (passed this a month ago – so checked!)
- Ability to sit up and hold head up unassisted (checked!)
- Interest in your food (she often lick her lips and watch attentively while we’re eating, perhaps thinking why mama didn’t give her some of the yummy stuff, so checked!)
- Doubling of birth weight (checked!)
- Frequently waking in the middle of the night when a solid sleeping pattern had been established. This may not be the best indicator that your baby is ready for solids! (baby Izzah sleeps like an angel at night, no waking up just tossing and turning her body)
Since most of the signs are checked and the paed also advised to start solid, we gave the little princess the bottled food that hubby bought a few days ago. She likes it so much (the bib and her nose also got a taste of the pumpkin… he..he)
So, now we’re watching out for any sign of allergies. If no allergic reaction, then we can continue giving her pumpkin. And, try another type of food.
* Studies show that babies are highly individual in developing a readiness for solid foods. One baby might seem to be ready for solids at 4 months, while another shows no signs of readiness until around 6 or 7 months. Just because your friend’s baby may have began eating solid foods at 4 months of age does not mean that your baby should.
I know many moms are against bagi baby makan awal ni. but yeah all babies are unique.. some may require more food earlier than others…
many moms prohibit solid food before their babies are six months.. i think they are just breastmilk-obsessed heheheh!!!
kalau baby dah ada all stated signs… she is very much ready to eat solid la kan?
lets not underestimate Allah’s creation ( our digestive system) a few weeks earlier than 6 months wont do the baby no harm… 🙂
yer betul itu… at first I was one of them too (kes follow dalam buku).. especially when mother-in-law said can give nasi kanji when she is 4 month… I was shocked! but then when the paed said that my baby is ready for semi-solid.. I was kind of.. eh ye ke? so we tried with the pumpkin first… turned out she is truly ready.. no sign of allergy whatsoever..
p/s my mom said she gave all of us (me and my sibblings) the Nestum cereal (the one not for baby..dulu2 mana ada special nestum for baby kot) at 4 months… hidup & berjaya pun dia kata! ha..ha..ha